Inspiration called on me to make a batch of granola bars, or rather, inspiration + a hungry child on an early-morning dog walk. Racking my brain for ingredients, we encountered a yummy bar at our local coffee shop and attempted to replicate it, with no added sugar. Also, this is the first time I’ve ever used cocoa butter in a recipe and it won’t be the last! The result: deliciousness.
Makes about 12 – 1″ pieces
1. In a food processor, process:
1/2c of peanuts (mine happened to be roasted and unsalted)
1/2c of dried cherries
1/4-1/2c of oats
2. In a slow drizzle while the processor is on, add:
1/4c of coconut oil
1/4c of cocoa butter (I got wafers from Mountain Rose Herbs)
1/4c of buckwheat flour
3. Pour mix into a medium sized bowl and stir in 1/4-1/2c chocolate chips (67% dark chocolate)
4. Transfer mixture to parchment paper lined dish and refrigerate
5. Remove after hardened and cut into 12 pieces
Reflections: Next time I will probably double the recipe. The sweetness of the bar is unimposing and just enough to satisfy – thanks to the cherries and chocolate chips. No syrup or honey needed!